We’re very excited to share the news that our generous partner and long-time sponsor, Vancity, will be directly showing their support for local organic farmers (and their members!) by sharing some of the bounty of summer’s produce at their Oakridge Branch.
Each Friday and Saturday for the next 9 weeks, the Oakridge Branch will be giving their members fresh seasonal vegetables or fruits from one of Oak Street Farmers Market’s Certified-Organic farmers (while supplies last.) Members will also receive a discount coupon and an invitation to come check out the market and Meet Their Farmer, and see what other delicious offerings are available.
If you are already a Vancity member, stop by the Oakridge Branch on Friday or Saturday until Oct. 10 to check out what the give-away of the week is. And if you aren’t a Vancity member yet, what better time to join and support the credit union that supports local farmers, farmers markets, sustainability and local food security!
Introduce a friend to your favourite BC Farmers’ Market in July to enter to win one of two amazing getaways for two to Sparkling Hill Resort in the Okanagan, to enjoy this spectacular view in person!
(And of course, we hope that Oak Street Farmer’s Market is YOUR favourite market!)
There will also be weekly prize draws throughout July for $50 to spend at the farmers’ market of your choice.
How Can You Enter?
In person at the market: Simply bring a friend to your favourite farmers’ market and fill out a ballot at the info booth.
(If you bring a friend to introduce them to the Oak Street Farmer’s Market, stop by the Market Info Booth to tell us and we will also give both you and your friend a free market shopping bag (value $8) as a thank-you!)
Via social media: Snap a photo of your favourite farmers’ market – either a picture of the market itself or your favourite market find – and post it on Instagram or Twitter tagging @bcfarmersmarket and using hashtag #MeetMyMarket . Not on Instagram or Twitter? No problem. You can also enter via the BCAFM Facebook Page contest tab.
Here is the announcement for the winner of the first weekly prize. Come on out to the market this week and post your own entry and you could be next week’s winner!
Wednesday June 3 marks the Grand Opening of the 5th season of the Oak Street Farmers Market. We’re thrilled to be welcoming back many returning vendors, as well as a few new ones for 2015.
Please click on their name to learn more about each vendor. Then come out to meet them in person and enjoy the bounty of fresh local food, drinks, crafts and services from 3 – 7 pm every Wed. until Oct. 14.
CERTIFIED ORGANIC FARMS
• Forstbauer Family Natural Food Farm
• Langley Organic Growers
• Anderson Organic Farm
OTHER FOOD VENDORS
• Fresh Wild Enterprises (seafood)
• Carmen’s Bake House (enchiladas, quesadillas, cheesecake, tiramisu)
• A Bread Affair (organic bread and pastries)
• Alliga (flax oil and flax seeds, dips and hummus and baked goods made with flax oil)
• Amazing Foods (gluten-free cereal, snacks, spices, tea)
• Tiger Tea (organic, tumeric spice tea)
• Bubble Bombs (fruit juice-filled pearls)
• Sable Shortbread Company
• Holly Food (Iranian Canadian street food truck)
Wine, Beer, Mead & Spirits Vendors
• Dragon Mist Distillery (vodka, gin, baijiu)
• BC Wine Studio
• Campbell’s Gold Honey Farm & Meadery (mead, honey & honey products)
• Dogwood Organic Brewery
• Thee Sisters Winery
Plants, Artisans & Services
• VanParidon Perennial Gardens (shade perennials)
• Gail Stephan – GKS Photos (photos and photo cards)
• Laura Harrison – Ishtars Pottery (stoneware)
• The McBrides – Zer Designs (handmade wall hangings and jewelry)
• Zaleska Jewelry
• Robyn Prefontaine Handcrafted Limited Designs (jewlery)
• Bits and Key (recycled and upcycled jewelry)
• Gypsy Jem Gals (jewelry)
• Mr Sharp’s Knife & Tool Sharpening
• Sewlutions (clothing repairs and sewing)
• Tania Marshall/Shiatsu Massage Company
We are actively seeking volunteers to help out at this year’s market!
Come find out how much fun it is to be a part of strengthening the local food economy and gain valuable work experience.
We need volunteers to help us with the following:
- Outreach & Community Marketing
- Market Setup and Takedown
- Staffing our information table
- Special Events
- Traffic management
- Promotions and surveys
If you are interested, please fill in the Volunteer Application Form
The OSFM will be running two Holiday Artisan Markets at the Unitarian Church of Vancouver on:
Sunday December 7th from 10 am – 2 pm
Sunday December 14th from 10 am – 2 pm & 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm
Both days will feature unique, locally hand-crafted gifts like pottery, jewellery, photos and cards, organic skin and baby-care products, hand-painted silk scarves and stained glass window decor.
There will also be delicious baking from Sweet Thea, preserves, honey, gluten & sugar-free desserts and chocolate, Mexican sweets and Archimallows’ Gourmet Marshmallows – all perfect gifts or treats to make your holidays sweeter!
Finally look for Mr. Sharp and his knife-sharpening services in order to ensure that all of your knives are in tip-top shape for this holiday’s feasts!
Come and support local businesses this holiday season and also the OSFM as 10% of all proceeds will go towards our 2015 season! We hope to see you there!
Join the Cooking Coach – in the Kitchen!
Saturday, Oct 11th 2-4pm at Kits Community Centre at 12th & Larch
Free admission, samples, advice, and recipes
Cooking demo of:
- Thin Pear Tart or Raspberry Buttermilk Cake
- Wild Mushrooms with Pears and Green Peppercorns
- Sweet Corn Relish
Sign up here to reserve a seat; space is limited